Classic Snake is based on the classic snake game you might remember from early Cell Phones. Or - if you are my age - from 8 bit computers like the Commodore 64.
The game is simple: Eat as many of the dots as you can but do not run into yourself or any obstacles !
The more you eat, the longer you grow and the harder it becomes to avoid running into yourself. I guess greed doesn't pay :smile:
Classic Snake comes with many options beyond what the original offered to make the game more interesting. Here's a run down of the various options and controls.
- From opening screen, choose one of 5 Speed levels: from 'Very Slow' to 'Impossible'
- Choose one of the several boards . Each offes a completely different game experience and has a separate high score
- The game is controlled by the cursor-keys or the WASD keys - both sets of keys are always available
- Controls can be Directional or Steering (Select Control Type from settings)
- Steering makes only left and right control keys active. The snake will turn counter-clockwise or clockwise with these keys. Think of it as 'steering' a car
- Directional controls makes all four control keys active and snake moves in the direction of the key
Music & Sound
- You can set Sound or Music from the main screen. Both can be turned off or on separately
Skin & Theme
- Classic Snake comes with several themes. These can be changeg from the game screen.
- Press space-bar to pause: the "Back" and "Skin" buttons will appear near the top - click on these and good things will happen :smile:
- You can also use the keyboard shortcuts K (sKin) and B (Background) at any time without even pausing the game
- B : Change background
- K : Change skin
- P : From the game-over message, press P to start again (you can also click the message)
- X : Mute the music (sounds will still play - both can be set from opening screen)
- C : In the star-field background, it changes the direction of scrolling
- M : Menu
- Space-bar : Pause / unpause
- From opening screen, click the gears icon on the bottom left. This will open the settings screen which has more options
- From Settings, Choose "Snake is"
- Fat makes the snake segments bigger and there is less area to move on the board
- Thin makes the snake segments smaller and there is more area to move on the board
Reset High Scores
- High scores are maintained for each Board / Speed combination. So if you change any of the settings, you might want to reset high scores
- From Settings, click on Reset High Scores
- From Settings, Choose Initial Length
- This setting is for Thin Snake only - it sets the initial length of the snake
- A long initial snake will make the game more difficult more quickly
Snake Growth Rate
- From Settings, Choose "On eating, grow snake by"
- This sets how much the snake grows on eating each target. It can be 1, 2, 3, 5 or 10. e.g. if set to 5, the snake will grow by 5 each times it eats. The higher this setting, the faster the snake grows and the harder the game
Number of targets
- From Settings, Choose Number of Targets
- Set this from one to many. The fewer the targets, the harder the game
Moving Targets ?
- For an even bigger challenge, Choose "Moving Targets ?" from settings !
- Choose No to make the targets stay in one place until eaten
- Choose 'Every 5 seconds' or 'Every 10 seconds' to make the targets move every 5 or 10 seconds